Seems like weight loss is the number one issue for people right now. They know they need to drop a few, or a lot of pounds. The new year offers a chance to make a resolution to just do it.
The problem comes with how to achieve this goal of reaching your ‘ideal’ weight. Whether it’s 5 pounds or 55 pounds that you want to lose, it’s not as easy as just saying, “I’m gonna lose this extra weight.” Believe me, I’ve been there and I know.
Here are some simple steps to help you start, and hopefully reach your weight loss goal this year.
1. Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat AND drink throughout the day. This is a tool to help you understand your eating patterns.
2. Don’t confuse thirst with hunger. Whenever you notice you want “just a little something,” try a glass of water instead. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice into a glass and add some water for a refreshing alternative to plain water.
3. Put your fork down between bites. Same with a sandwich, a burrito, or a slice of pizza: put it down between bites. You’ll eat less and feel full sooner. Really.
4. Write down your weight loss goal. Be realistic. Consider that losing 1.5-2.0 pounds per week is an achievable goal. Losing 5 pounds a week is unrealistic.
5. Eat a variety of foods over the coarse of a week. If you mix it up, you’ll be less likely to overeat. You’ll be getting a wider variety of nutrients and your body will not crave as many sweets, snacks, or junk food when you are getting adequate nutrients.
5. Be kind to yourself. When you lose weight, reward yourself with a movie, a new article of clothing, a spa treatment, a round of golf, a mental health day away from work. If you don’t lose weight one week, take time to review your food journal and write down what you can change to reach your goal.
Happy New Year and best wishes for a lighter year ahead.